Sunday, July 8, 2012

The NIA "E.R" Project


Later last Sunday as I sat in my living room perusing Facebook, I devised the most wonderful “environmental awareness” idea. I could start a project to generate individual awareness and responsibility for plastic grocery bag pollution. The project will be called The NIA “E.R.” Project (NIA is an African word meaning purpose: Nurturing Individual Awareness of Environmental Responsibility Project).

Today I decided to not use plastic grocery bags anymore. I searched my house to find reusable shopping bags that I could use now for free, and I also find some great bags on the internet:

*I just put this market bag on my crochet todo list. I can’t wait to get started on it. http://www.michaels.com/Lily%C2%AE-Sugar%27N-Cream-Crochet-Market-Bag/e06628,default,pd.html
 Lily® Sugar'N Cream Crochet Market Bag, large

*I really like the look of these bags. Horizon Rectangular Crunch Cans by Umbra.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/openBinsBaskets/naturalMaterials?productId=10024258


*Great selection of reusable shopping bags. 
http://www.reuseit.com/store/Shopping+Bags-c-238_239.html
 reuseit EarthTote, Black

My collection of reusable shopping bags came from Target ($1), The Body Shop (Free with purchase), and  (gift give away). Will you join me? Let’s go on a “plastic bag diet” for the rest of the summer. The summer is only 8 weeks, but the “plastic bag diet” can change our lives and the environment forever. All it takes to clean up the marine environment is the commitment of one household at a time. 

One big challenge for me is the convenience and ease of use of the plastic grocery bags. I use the plastic grocery bags to pick up dog poop outside, and to line small garbage cans throughout my home. After some deliberations, I’ve come up with a solution for those challenges too. I will not use the plastic bags in my garbage cans. Scrubbing the cans every week is not convenient, but I’m willing to do my part as the founder of The NIA “E.R.” Project. Also I purchased paper lunch bags (50 count) from the Dollar Store, and I now use paper towels to put the poop inside the bag. At least the paper bags and paper towels will decompose in the garbage dump naturally within a few weeks, and most importantly I will be doing my part to save the marine environment and animals from harm. Now I just have to remember to keep the reusable shopping bags in my car, so I can use EVERY time I go shopping.  



N and I on our first grocery store trip with my reusable shopping bags.

What do you do with the plastic bags from the grocery store after you get them home? Why do you choose to carry, or not carry reusable shopping bags

Let’s kick off The NIA “E.R.” Project with a loud summer July 4th bang. There is no better way to show pride in our city, state, country, and world. No more plastic grocery bags in my home! Now to get hubby on board too. Here we go!

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas D.M., as usual. I admire you for doing your part.

    ReplyDelete