Monday, August 6, 2012

A Little Dog Angel: On Vacation



In a blink of an eye, our lives changed forever….

On the morning of Thursday, July 27 I decided to take Taco with N and I on a planned visit S in college. N and I went to Kmart the day before, and we purchased a red and blue car kennel to help with the car ride. Lately Taco would not sit still for car rides, and I would eventually have to hold him to drive safely. That morning my husband packed the car with all the weekend necessitates for the trip: S’s charbroil grill and charcoal (she is going to love it), one large, black piece of luggage, car DVD player and several DVD’s for N to watch, N’s treats and coloring books, and Taco’s pet bed, toys, food, and snacks. Kisses and hugs all around. N, Taco, and I got into the car, and backed down the driveway. Here we go! We traveled down 95 stopping at several rest stops for human and pet potty breaks. It was a very hot summer day, and we made sure Taco was properly hydrated at each rest stop.

After 5 hours of driving, we arrived at the Sheraton in the early afternoon. Taco walked proudly through the expansive lobby, and all eyes were on him as we checked into the hotel. During the elevator ride Taco shook quite a bit, but he lay calmly on his pet bed in the room as we got ready to go swimming. Periodically he would scamper across the floor checking out the floor with his nose. N and I went to the hotel pool, and hung out on the pools edge with our feet in the water. The pool water was ice cold despite the high temperatures and humidity. 

S rang my cell phone about an hour later to tell me that she was in the hotel lobby. N and I left the pool quickly to ensure that we would meet S at the room. We made it to the room before S, and Taco was so happy to see that we returned. Hugs and kisses all around, S was a site for my eyes. I missed her so much, and I was so glad to finally hold her so close in my arms. Forever the watch dog, Taco immediately started barking at S. She quietly called his name, and he looked with his head cocked to one side almost saying “Do I know you?”  I picked Taco to bring him closer to S. Taco looked at her, and S looked at him. Finally he put his guard down, and S was able to hold him in her arms. 

Shortly after getting N dressed, I asked S to take Taco for a walk in the park across the street from the hotel. We were going out to eat dinner, and I wanted to save some time so we could get to the restaurant as soon as possible. N is a beast when she gets hungry. I watched as S, N, and Taco disappeared through the brown hotel door. Just as I was about to get in the shower, I hear my cell phone ringing in the next room. I quickly walk over to the bed, look down at my phone, and I see S’s name…… I remember thinking “What happened now?”

Never in a million years could I fathom what DID happen next? All I know is that in a blink of an eye our lives changed forever…. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment