Monday, August 27, 2012

The NIA E.R. Project: The Plastic Bag Diet

If people really knew how much plastic shopping bags are hurting the environment, maybe they wouldn't roll their eyes so hard when I pull out my reusable canvas shopping bags.Usually I carry 4 reusable canvas shopping bag, and 1 insulated shopping bag during each grocery shopping trip. In fact, Walmart.com  has a very nice insulated black shopping bag for only $10.



I'm very proud to say that I am still on the plastic bag diet, and I have been off plastic bags since July 1. I have even eliminated plastic garbage bags in my home completely, and I don't miss them at all. Actually I am using less bags when I shop, and I'm not polluting the oceans. Just check out my neatly compacted $50 shopping trip from Walmart. Best of all, I can carry all of this into the house in TWO trips.


I've also found out that Shoprite gives $.05 deduction off your grocery shopping total for each bag "reused." My grandmother always said, "A Penny saved, is a Penny earned. If you don't believe her, check out this chart below that shows how much money could be earned by doubling the amount of money saved the previous day. 

Shopping with reusable canvas shopping bags helps cut down the manufacture of plastic bags, which helps reduce the number of plastic bags floating in the oceans, and best of all you can earn "money" while saving the lives of countless marine animals. Do you want to save money on your next shopping trip? If you answered yes, then stop using plastic bags today. Did you know that 26 Glad Tall Kitchen Trash bags cost about $7? $7 x 12 months = $84, so you can save about $100 annually just by not using plastic garbage bags. Did you hear those pennies hit the bottom of your savings account??? Ca-ching! Get yourself some reusable canvas shopping bags, and let the savings begin......Here we go!



No comments:

Post a Comment