Thursday, August 2, 2012

I’ve Found The One My Soul Loves


 
Why am I still up? I can’t believe it’s 1 am, and I’m watching music videos. I have to admit that I love all the VH1 Video Music Award (VMA) best female video nominees this year: Selena Gomez (I love you like a love song), Katy Perry (Part of Me),  Beyonce (Love on Top), Rihanna (We Found Love), and Nicki Minaj (Starships). I haven’t followed any music awards over the past 3 years, but now music has taken its rightful place in my life again. Seriously, Music is my life! For as long as I can remember, I have always loved listening and singing to music. In elementary school I learned how to play the clarinet, and it sparked my interest in the composition of music. I can really listen to all types of music and take away so much. Musicians, singers, and song writers are the best storytellers. How many times have I listened to a song that moved me to a place joy, love, sorrow, motivation, regret, spiritual awakening, humility, empowerment, or compassion?  

Apparently the female nominees feel that “music is their life” too. Have you noticed that every one of the female nominees (except Nicki Minaj – no surprise there) are singing about their men/relationships?: Selena Gomez (Justin Beiber), Katy Perry (Russell Brand), Beyonce (Jay-Z), and Rihanna (Chris Brown). Each of these women has put so much of themselves into singing their songs, that their videos were selected above all the other thousands of videos put out in 2011. As I watched the VMA best female video nominees tonight, I was taken through a range of emotions set off by the artist’s rendition of their own personal story: Selena (teenage love), Katy Perry (empowerment, motivation), Beyonce (joy, pure love), and Rihanna (regret, love, sorrow, empowerment…confusion).
  
If I had to align myself musically with one of the VMA best female video nominees, right now it would be Beyonce. I feel that today, my husband and I have learned how to put our “Love on Top.” Truly I have found the one my soul loves, and nothing or no one will ever TOP my love for him. I belong with him. He appreciates me. I treat him like he’s the only man in the world, because he is the only man for me. He gives me what I need to love him perfectly, and I do the same for him. We have learned not to expect perfection in each other, because it's not necessary in marriage or love. We can now put away our pride, and do what's best for each other. What if you learned to give your spouse/significant other what they need now instead of the promise of perfection later? What if your spouse/significant other learned to accept good now instead of demanding perfection - telling you what to do later? 

So that’s why Beyonce’s “Love on Top” song fits my love story so well. There’s one thing everyone wants to feel, To be loved freely - perfectly. So many of us live in fear every day that our spouse/significant other will get to know the "real you" resulting in a loss of love. How different would your life be if you did things out of love instead of fear? I've learned that letting my husband see the "real me" now is essentially better for him - and vice versa. He can love me purely now, because I've learned to embrace my flaws, love myself, and live our marriage now. Apparently, each of those VMA nominated women are looking for the same in their relationships - pure love, which makes them no different than me. Love and music are universal, because it connects every living being on this planet on some level. I love music, and music is one of my loves. 

Nothing's perfect, but it's worth it after fighting through my fears And finally you put me first Baby it's you. You're the one I love. You're the one I need. You're the only one I see. Come on baby it's you. - Beyonce's "Love on Top" lyrics


What song this year best describes your personal love story? In general, does listening to music fill you with regret/sorrow or happiness/love? No matter what stage you are in the relationship/love cycle, I’m sure there’s a song that represents your emotions. We will continue to listen to music as long as we love how we feel while doing it. If you don’t have a love theme song this year, it’s not too late to find one. The VMA’s are a great place to start. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment